Tabitha's Book Blog

A young adult book blog where I read and review the books I like - and then maybe some that I don't like.

Review: Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer

Spirit - Brigid Kemmerer

Spirit is the third book in The Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer and unlike the past few books - this one is not told from the perspective of a Merrick Brother. It’s told from Hunter’s perspective, and if you’re familiar with the series - you’ll know that he has a sort of love/hate relationship with the family. I was actually really worried how this one would play out. I wasn't a huge fan of Hunters in the beginning, but he grew on me by the end of the book.

Hunter was such a complex character, and I loved getting to learn about him and everything he’s gone through. Although. There was one point where he was short on money, and complained about buying a water for $1.25, and all I wanted to do was shake him and say waters free at any fast food place you go to! You can even just go in and ask for a cup of ice water and it’s free!! I’ve gotten off topic, so I’ll get back to the complexities of Hunter’s character. He was raised with the mindset of not ever trusting anyone, so I liked seeing him struggle with the realization that maybe it is alright to trust someone other than yourself.

I also really enjoyed the character of Kate - who was the female protagonist in this story. I just... DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY. Her ending sucked, but I kind of think it was for the best. Okay - not the best, but the best for the story. Who knows? Maybe Brigid Kemmerer has some sort of surprise in store for us, but I kind of doubt it.

Now onto my favorite part of the series.... THE MERRICK BROTHERS. Although this is Hunter’s story - the Merrick brothers still play a fairly big part in the story, especially Michael. He kind of took Hunter under his wing and wouldn’t let him just fade into the background. I won’t go into too far of detail, but this aspect was my favorite. It showed how good of a person he is, despite what his cold exterior may lead you to believe.

Brigid Kemmerer has slowly become one of my favorite authors over the past year. Each book from her has just gotten better, and I’m pretty excited to see what she has in store for her next book. (which if I’m not mistaken is Nick’s story.) She has this uncanny ability to make her paranormal stories read like a contemporary, and for all of you contemporary lovers out there? This is the book for you.

Source: http://tabithabookblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/blog-tour-review-spirit-by-brigid.html